Access course videos and material anytime, anywhere
Freedom to study as per your convenience
to a private WhatsApp group to learn with peers
Certificate of completion
Earn an industry recognized certificate upon completion.
Experts well versed in Hindi & English to solve all your doubts
Ask away, we will have it solved within 20 mins
Vermicomposting is a science of manufacturing compost. Earthworms that are inhabited to the soil get their nutrition from engulfing biomass and digested biomass is excreted, forming a hummus-like material known as vermin-compost. Vermicomposting is regarded as a clean, sustainable, and zero-waste approach to manage organic wastes.
Vermicast or vermicompost, which is the final product of vermin-composting, is richer in nutrients than the initial raw materials. Vermicast appears as a peat-like material which is capable of showing high water holding capacity, porosity, drainage, aeration and microbial activity.
In the process of vermicomposting, the essential plant macronutrients such as nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P) and potassium (K) present in the organic waste materials are converted through the action of microorganisms into much more soluble and stabilized forms which are easily available to the plants as compared to the parent substances
Charles Darwin described earthworms as “friends of farmers’ ‘. The earthworms swallow everything on their way, grind them in the gizzard, digest them in their intestine and absorb only 10 % of the swallowed material. The remaining 90% is excreted out as vermicasts which are described as black gold used as valuable organic manure. The vermicompost is the excreta of earthworms which is rich in humus.
Thus, earthworms eat cow dung or farmyard manure along with other farm waste and pass through their body and in the process convert it into vermicompost. The municipal waste, non-toxic solid and liquid wastes of some industries and household garbage can also be converted into same
Following are a few advantages of vermicomposting:
Suitable species are used for vermiculture differ in different countries, depending upon the soil, garbage, weather conditions etc. By using proper species of earthworms, vermicomposting can be done in compost pits. This can be organised into a production unit as, this type of compost has a high demand in the organic foods market.
Cow dung is the main input for vermicomposting when it comes to large scale production. Establishing vermicomposting units near dairy farms can be an added advantage. Hence, vermicomposting is a lucrative business where the initial investment is not too high and the outcome is good.
You can learn more about setting up your own commercial vermicomposting agribusiness by taking up an online training course, taught by experts, who are well experienced in the industry. Through this online training program users can gain access to the industry know-how and much more at nominal rates.
To learn vermicomposting online by experts, you can enroll in our commercial vermicomposting course and start your own Agribusiness with Rocket Skills.
The Commercial Vermicomposting course at Rocket Skills is: